Donovan, House Pass Legislative Package To “Make America Secure And Prosperous”
Washington, DC – September 15, 2017…. Congressman Dan Donovan (NY-11) today announced that he voted to support a package of appropriations bills to “Make America Secure and Prosperous.” The legislation includes funding for the Department of Defense, Homeland Security, Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, Energy and Water Development, and the Legislative Branch, and $1.6 billion for physical barrier construction to secure the Southern Border.
Congressman Donovan said, “This appropriations package prioritizes the needs of the American people, and delivers wins for the families of Staten Island and South Brooklyn. Among other provisions, the bill provides critical funding for programs that keep the homeland and New York City safe, enhance U.S. disaster preparedness capabilities, deliver resources to combat the opioid abuse epidemic, prioritize medical research, incentivize economic growth, and cut government waste. Importantly, this bill was also passed on time and through regular order, and I hope the Senate will act swiftly to pass it.”
Bill highlights include:
- Fully funding President Trump’s Southern Border wall construction request;
- Instituting a 2.4 percent pay raise for the military, including service members at Fort Hamilton – the largest increase in 8 years;
- Increasing military funding by $68.1 billion to strengthen defense capabilities;
- Supporting veterans by providing $78.3 billion for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical programs;
- Investing $35.2 billion in the National Institutes of Health for biomedical research;
- Allocating $747 million to specifically address opioid and heroin abuse;
- Providing $6.16 billion to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for navigation and flood protection projects; and
- Supplying $2.7 billion for FEMA grant programs, including the Urban Area Security Initiative.
The legislation also included Donovan’s amendment to restore funding to the National Urban Security Technology Laboratory (NUSTL). NUSTL, which is located in New York City, researches, develops, and evaluates new technologies for law enforcement officers and first responders to ensure they have the tools needed to prevent, prepare for, and respond to terror attacks and emergency situations. The lab regularly tests equipment, including radiological detection technologies, for the FDNY and NYPD.
The funding package will now go to the U.S. Senate for consideration.