2016 Congressional App Challenge!
2016 CONGRESSIONAL APP CHALLENGE
Do you have a great idea for a new app? Are you interested in coding and how it can be used to design programs that solve a problem or help people? Then you should enter this year's Congressional App Challenge!
The Congressional App Challenge is a competition aimed at encouraging elementary and high school students to pursue an interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) through coding. The challenge is designed to highlight student creativity by giving them an opportunity to create their own applications and programs.
The competition is open to all K-12 students in New York’s 11th Congressional District. Students interested in participating must submit their app between July 26th and November 2nd (more details below). For more information, please visit the Congressional App Challenge Website here.
Winners will be chosen based on originality, creativity, app design, and quality of coding. The competition is open to students of all abilities, and you can learn more by reading the challenge’s online student resource section. If you have any questions feel free to contact our office (718) 351-1062 or Alexia Sikora at Alexia.Sikora@mail.house.gov.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- App submissions will be accepted until November 2, 2016 (12 PM EST).
- Winners will be announced on December 5, 2016.
- Submissions may be from individuals or groups consisting of up to four people.
- Participants must fill out the Congressional App Challenge Student Registration Form before submitting their app.
Required Submission Materials
- Title of the app.
- Coding language used.
- Description of the issue the app tackles.
- What sort of challenges participants faced in creating the app?
- What changes would participants make when constructing a second version of the app?
- Demonstration video
Next Steps For Students